the WORKSHOPSONE-DAY - photographic workshop
Price: R1,495 p/p
This one-day workshop creates the perfect opportunity to get to know your camera better, and know what the different functions do. Workshops focus largely on composition and learning how to implement different guidelines to improve your daily photography.
- Understanding the info displayed in the viewfinder or LCD screen of your camera
- ISO (Why and when to use ISO set to 100 or 1600)
- Shutter (Why and when to use a fast or slow shutter speed)
- Aperture (Why and when to use a large or small aperture)
- Depth of field (How aperture will affect your photo)
- Recognising light
- Visual communication
Whether you only take photos when going on holiday, having fun with your kids and pets in the garden, or wanting to improve your knowledge, this workshop is for you. No previous experience is needed to attend this workshop. All you need is a camera, whether a point and shoot or a SLR camera.
Join us on this exciting field trip as we travel together in minibus while visiting great locations in and around Cape Town. Bring along your equipment and questions and be part of an exciting day, full of photography and fun!
Joe & Jonelle Louw are both qualified, registered guides with PDP’s to legally drive you around.
A destination will be visited with each workshop allowing you the opportunity to improve in different areas of photography as each destination offer something unique.
Locations will include:
From townships to markets and everything in between, the people and the places construct life as it is on the streets. Colour and contrast represents the reality for many when exploring a world less familiar.
The smell of Bushveld, the sound of birds, beautiful landscapes, you and your camera... Lets hike and learn while wandering through the surrounding nature, capturing the scenes and serenity around you.
Fisherman, boats and bokkoms is all iconic features of this small coastal town, but there’s more to Paternoster then people. This authentic village has endless sandy beaches with spectacular views and breathtaking sunsets.
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. How to shoot, how to pose and many more tips on how to get perfect wedding pictures..
Please see the dates and calendar for your location preference.
Destinations can be customised for group bookings but must be booked well in advance.
If your preferred location is not listed here, please contact us to arrange a custom one-day workshop according to your location preference.
The itinerary will vary slightly for each destination due to the time of the season or driving distance involved.
This is a summary of how a typical one-day workshop will progress. The day will comprise of an early start to benefit from the soft morning light.
- Get together at a safe pick-up point where you will leave your vehicle for the day.
- A steaming cup of coffee or tea and rusks will be offered while waiting for everyone to arrive.
- We will all drive together in a minibus, going to the selected destination.
- Photos will be taken throughout the morning, offering many opportunities to ask questions.
- Practical tips and suggestions will be shared as needed.
- When the light is less desirable we will go to a nearby location for a light breakfast.
- A slide-show will be presented on understanding your camera and composition.
- Lunch will be enjoyed after the presentation.
- Then it’s time to practice what you’ve learnt!
- More time will be spent shooting on location.
- At the end of the day you will be dropped off again at the pick-up point.
Pick-up points will be announced for each workshop.
A refreshment pack will also be given to each participant to snack on throughout the day (you won’t go hungry).
ONE-DAY photographic workshops
- Workshops can be booked on demand and is available throughout the week and is not limited to Saturdays.
- Workshops are booked on a first come first serve basis.
- You can choose your preferred location, as long as you book for a minimum of 4 people.
- Please book early to avoid disappointment.
- For future dated workshops & destinations later then scheduled below, see: our CALENDAR
|Saturday 7 July 2012||TBA|
|17 & 18 July + 21 & 22 July 2012||Special|
|Saturday 25 August 2012||TBA|
|Sunday 23 September 2012||TBA|
|Saturday 27 October 2012||TBA|
|Saturday 10 November 2012||TBA|
|Sunday 9 December 2012||TBA|
|Saturday 15 December 2012||TBA|
Prices: R1,495 p/p - ALL inclusive (Min 4 / Max 10)
- Discounted prices for scholars, pensioners and group bookings
- 2 Photographers / guides
- Course notes
- Presentation on understanding your camera, composition and visual communication
- Meals and refreshments
- Vehicle & Fuel
- A fun day full of photography
A 50% deposit or the full payment will confirm your booking.
The outstanding amount must be paid 7 days prior to the workshop.
Workshops will only commence once a minimum of 4 spots have been booked.
Should there only be 3 or less confirmed bookings, the workshop will not take place and your payment WILL be paid back to you.
Who can join thombe SAFARI on the one-day workshops?
Anyone and everyone.
Young and old, scholars and pensioners - anyone with a camera.
It’s a great opportunity for students to build up their portfolios.
What level of experience should I be as a photographer?
You don’t need any experience at all!
Beginner and more advanced photographers are welcome.
Whether you only have a point and shoot camera or a DSLR, everyone will benefit.
What equipment should I bring along for the one-day workshops?
Whatever you have!
Film or digital cameras are welcomed (preferably something better then a mobile phone).
I don’t have a tripod. Can I still participate?
Of course! There might be times that you feel limited with your photography but if you don’t own a tripod already, this will present a good opportunity to get some advice before buying one.
What else should I bring along?
Fully charged batteries.
A formatted memory card. (8GB to 16GB will be sufficient)
A notepad and pen.
Feel free to bring your camera manual should you have specific questions.
What time and from where will we depart?
Departure times and locations will vary (this will be confirmed before each workshop).
We will depart early enough to benefit from the soft morning light.
Your vehicles will be parked at a safe place for the duration of the day.
What is the duration of the one-day workshops?
We are aiming at a full day, from sunrise to sunset (depending on the season).
When do I or my group qualify for discount?
If you are a scholar.
If you are a pensioner (60 years and older).
If you book for a group of more then 6 people.
Are you legally qualified to drive a minibus with passengers?
We are both qualified guides with PDP’s.
I have special dietary requirements due to allergies, should I tell you?
Yes please! We must be informed about any allergens as foodstuffs are prepared or purchased in advance. Also, we might be far from a store where you can find something else to eat.
My partner is not a photographer and he/she doesn’t have a camera.
Can he/she join us on this workshop?
Due to limited seats available we might not be able to accommodate partners or spouses.
When making a group booking, this won’t be a problem. Should there be an open seat, you’re welcome to bring your husband or wife along for a discounted rate.
What about beverages? Should I bring my own or can I buy something at the location?
Beverages will be provided with meals and at certain times. Depending on the location that we visit and the activities that will be involved, you might want to consider bringing something extra (a bottle of water when hiking or walking).
What other expenses could there be during a workshop?
Entrance fees for a nature reserve, market or museum.
Items of a personal nature.
Should you still have a question or two, feel free to contact us for more information.